Blog #4

Listening to both the interview and reading the book, my biggest take away is understanding yourself and putting that into perspective in your actions. In the interview Tiffany Jewell mentioned how she wrote the book and the order of it. She made identity be the first part of the book. Identity is so important and is very important to many individuals. She made us identify ourselves so we would be able to put ourselves in perspective when talking about history and action. History is in our identity, it makes up many things, whether family history and or cultural history. When knowing your identity but also the history of you and others, it allows us take actions to help make a better anti-racist world. Actions may include many different things such as, listening and amplifying voices of BIPOC, allowing for self expression, trusting your students, etc.



Macey’s Toolkit:

Listening ears: My ears and listening skills are a crucial part of my toolkit. In order to facilitate a safe and welcoming classroom environment, it is essential that you create an environment where there is listening. Both the teaching listening to the students, but also students listening to others (plus the given of the students listening to the teacher). Listening allows for voices to be heard, especially ones that need to be heard. 


Internet/Phone: The internet/my phone is also an essential part of my toolkit. It is the quickest and easiest way to access information. It keeps me up to date with any current events, but it also allows me to research and learn on the go. 


Books and artists by BIPOC: Finding books and art that mirror my classroom, but also add new voice and perspective to my students.


Rules and values that reflect the students: Another great toolkit item I would like to implement into my classroom is a rules and values poster. This poster is something that I would want to create with my class(es). Getting their perspectives but also making sure there is understanding where everyone is coming from. With set guidelines from the beginning and a time where we can allow for discussion of those guidelines, it creates less confusion between everyone. 



Pg 111 Activity Reflection:

I feel like I am currently swimming, but I also know there have been moments where I am paddling in a canoe. I would love to go back to the pace of paddling, but at the current moment, I do not have the full capacity to do so. I hope for there to be more change when I am in a classroom, where I can practice anti-racist teaching. I continue to share relevant information about injustices that happens in the BIPOC community, but I know I will have to do more in the future. I also try to be as aware as I can when trying to not cover voices of BIPOC, instead I try to listen and amplify them. 


Comments

  1. Hi Macey, I agree that Tiffany Jewell's decision to start to book off about identity was a good one. Like you said, identity is a big part of everyone's life and I think Jewell discussing every facet of it really helps the reader identify aspects of their identity they may not have thought about. But by listing all these different parts of identity, I think it gets readers thinking about the parts of identity that don't apply to them and looking at life from that perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Macey!
    My take away of Tiffany Jewell's book and interview align similarly to your's. While reading, I found myself questioning my own identity and place in the world. Prior to reading, I kept my history and identity separate. Jewell's writing as widened my perspective, and now understand the history and identity are and always be linked. Getting to know students and their histories in depth, as you have stated, is able to build a more anti-racist world. I love the items that you included in your toolkit! All of them can successfully enable a safe, organized, and inclusive classroom. To create the best learning environment for all students, we must always keep our listening ears on and be ready to learn as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Macey,
    Great work really reflecting on how Jewel created this book and why we must first begin to know ourselves and our history before we can get to know our students and their history. We must see multiple perspectives and work to understand our biases along with others" experiences.
    Your toolbox was filled with helpful resources but I liked the rules and values one best in yours. Setting some class rules and values together to show you want to hear from your students and you value what they say and believe is important. Good work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts